Reports to: Practice Manager, Lead Receptionist
Hours: As per contract
- To ensure that administrative and clerical duties within the practice are carried out within practice guidelines and policies.
- Assist and direct patients in accessing the appropriate service or healthcare professional in a courteous, efficient and effective way.
Skills and Experience
- The ability to work under pressure with good time management skills.
- The ability to manage workload priorities.
- Excellent communication and people skills.
- Confidence to work as part of a multi-skilled team.
- The ability to use initiative and to work proactively and reactively to manage issues and problems to gain a good solution or positive outcome.
- To have a thorough knowledge of all practice procedures and work in accordance of protocols.
- Respond to and action emails received via the practice generic account.
- Promote use of online services.
- Monitor the surgery website dashboard and action queries appropriately.
- Process appointment requests from patients ensuring the patient is signposted to the appropriate person at the appropriate time.
- Signposting patients to services which are available at St Pauls Medical Centre and externally using the appointment templates where appropriate.
- Scanning incoming correspondence to patients’ medical records.
- Any other tasks as requested by the Management or Partners to suit the needs of the practice.
This job description is neither exhaustive nor exclusive and will be reviewed annually with the post holder at the annual appraisal. The post-holder is also required to carry out any duties that may reasonably be requested by the Partners or the Practice Manager.
- In the performance of the duties outlined in this job description, the post holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carers, Practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the Practice as a Business Organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential.
- Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the Practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with Practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data.
Equality and Diversity
The post holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers and colleagues, to include:
- Acting in a way that recognises the importance of people’s rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with Practice procedures and policies and current legislation.
- Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers and colleagues.
- Behaving in a manner which is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgemental and respects their circumstances, feelings, priorities and rights.
Health and Safety
The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others’ health, safety and security as defined in the practice health and safety policy, the Employee Handbook, and the practice infection control policy and published procedures. This will include:
- Using personal security systems within the workplace according to practice guidelines
- Identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks
- Making effective use of training to update knowledge and skills
- Using appropriate infection control procedures, maintaining work areas in a tidy and safe way and free from hazards
- Actively reporting of health and safety hazards and infection hazards immediately when recognised
- Keeping own work areas and general / patient areas generally clean, assisting in the maintenance of general standards of cleanliness consistent with the scope of the job holder’s role
- Undertaking periodic infection control training (minimum annually)
- Reporting potential risks identified
The post holder will participate in any training programme implemented by the Practice as part of this employment. Such training to include:
- Participation in an annual individual performance review including taking responsibility for maintaining a record of own personal and/or professional development.
- Taking responsibility for own development, learning and performance and demonstrating skills and activities to others who are undertaking similar work.
- Mandatory training
Please download and complete a job application form.